article

FCC Opens Unused-Spectrum Proceeding, M2Z Appeals Dismissal

The FCC officially has started a proceeding to determine how it should use the empty 2155 to 2175MHz spectrum band.

Several companies had been pressing the FCC to let them lease the spectrum for various purposes. Most notably, M2Z Networks Inc. wanted to build a free, family-friendly wireless broadband Internet network. However, the FCC late this summer dismissed M2Zs application without prejudice.

M2Z didnt let that go unchecked. On Sept. 11, the company filed an appeal to that dismissal.

We do not believe that the FCC made a reasoned decision based on the facts and the law, thereby making the matter ripe for appeal, said John Muleta, co-founder and CEO of M2Z, and former head of the FCCs Wireless Telecommunications Bureau.

Still, M2Z can resubmit its proposal when it thinks the time is right, Muleta noted.

So while M2Z is disappointed that the FCC didnt grant its petition for a nationwide network, Muleta said hes glad the FCC is opening a rulemaking on the matter. Economic research shows that a free nationwide service would save consumers up to $32 billion, Muleta said. Yet, he added, consumers could already have saved $4.7 billion if the commission had acted within the 16 months since M2Z asked to be able to build the network.

Muleta said M2Zs investors remain on board and will work with us on all avenues to make our service a reality.

For now, M2Z plans to submit comments on the proposed rulemaking, which the FCC promised it will wrap up within nine months.

The 2155 to 2175MHz band has gone unused for four years.

FCC www.fcc.gov

M2Z Networks Inc. www.m2znetworks.com


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The ID is: 71358