PRESS RELEASE — PHOENIX, (Nov. 1, 2017) — Channel Partners announces its first annual Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery Survey, underwritten by ViaSat.
We surveyed channel partners and IT pros about the state of their business continuity and disaster recovery strategies, from connectivity to security to RTO/RPO. The fact is, partners can deliver good recoverability, across all locations, for less money. But not all organizations are taking advantage, as author Eyvonne Sharp, co-founder of Network Collective, discusses in our full report, free to registered users.
- About half, 52 percent, of IT pros say they have effective BC/DR programs. Channel pros disagree, with most saying fewer than half of their customers have effective plans. That puts the channel slightly more pessimistic, but no matter how you slice it, only half of respondents think they could recover.
- For IT, the belief they can’t get the right connectivity was the No. 2 reason for a lack of a strategy. Just 13 percent of channel pros cite a lack of connectivity, indicating that we’re not educating customers on options like satellite and SD-WAN.
- Ransomware is cited by channel pros as the top BC/DR driver, followed by connectivity failure. For IT pros, connectivity failure is No. 1, with ransomware in fourth place.
- Fifty-nine percent of IT pros say it’s somewhat or very difficult to provide adequate connectivity at an affordable cost to remote sites to achieve BC/DR objectives; 39 percent of channel pros say the same.
- Half of channel pros expect BC/DR budgets to increase somewhat. IT pros? Sixty-one percent say spending will stay level, while 29 percent expect increases. The good news: Few see spend decreasing.
- Encryption use is spotty, even though the technology has advanced, key management can be had as a service — and it’s essentially a “get out of compliance jail free” card. When asked, “Is data encrypted in transit and at rest,” 39 percent of IT pros say yes, all of it; 24 percent of partners agree.
- We asked how much was lost to unplanned downtime in the past 12 months, including productivity. We set $10,000 as the line between “OK, we can fix this” and “There goes the holiday party.” Eighteen percent of IT pros say they lost more than $10,000; 56 percent of partners say a customer lost more than $10,000.
- Spend on BC/DR as a percentage of the IT budget, including dedicated connectivity, now and in 2018, is likely to stay flat, per IT pro respondents; 39 percent of IT pros say BC/DR gets less than 5 percent of the cash, and 61 percent expect that to continue.
- Aspirational RPO and RTO metrics are not in line with reality: Seventy-six percent think it should take no more than four hours to bring mission-critical applications back online, and 70 percent say it’s acceptable to lose no more than two hours of data. But 61 percent of partners say critical data has been unrecoverable.
“The mismatches between IT and channel professional responses is likely attributable to the fact that partners are more attuned to advances in connectivity and data-protection technology,” said Lorna Garey, editor in chief of Channel Partners. “Hopefully this data will start some conversations.”
About the survey: We ran the survey in August and September 2017. Respondents were solicited from the Channel Partners audience via email, newsletter, site ads and social promos. We received 138 responses but excluded 43 that were either not well qualified or who didn’t answer all required questions. We had 41 IT pro and 58 channel respondents. Half of the IT pros surveyed have more than 10 TB under protection.
About Channel Partners
Channel Partners magazine is the leading publication for telecom and IT distribution channels. For more than 25 years, Channel Partners has been the undisputed leader in providing news, analysis and education to the indirect sales channels serving the business technology and communications industry. In addition, Channel Partners online (www.channelpartnersonline.com) delivers a constant content stream of unique and breaking industry news, feature articles and premium downloadable content. As official media of Channel Partners Conference & Expo (www.channelpartnersconference.com) and Channel Partners Evolution (www.channelpartnersevolution.com), Channel Partners is the market leader that channel professionals turn to first.