With the new year less than three months around the bend, researchers at Gartner are out with their top 10 predictions for IT organizations and users in 2015 and beyond.
“For some time now, there has been an ongoing shift in the roles machines play in our everyday lives,” said Daryl Plummer, vice president, distinguished analyst and Gartner fellow. “Compute-based machines are now being used to create an ever expanding variety of experiences that extend human endeavors. Machines are taking on more human characteristics in order to affect a more personalized relationship with human beings and we find ourselves contemplating a near-term future of a world in which machines and humans are co-workers, and possibly even co-dependents.”
That human-machine cooperation is an underlying theme in the firm’s top 10 predictions. So without further ado:
- By 2018, digital business will require 50 percent less business process workers and 500 percent more key digital business jobs, compared with traditional models.
- By 2017, a significant disruptive digital business will be launched that was conceived by a computer algorithm.
- By 2018, the total cost of ownership for business operations will be reduced by 30 percent through smart machines and industrialized services.
- By 2020, developed world life expectancy will increase by a half-year due to widespread adoption of wireless health monitoring technology.
- By year-end 2016, more than $2 billion in online shopping will be performed exclusively by mobile digital assistants.
- By 2017, U.S. customers’ mobile engagement behavior will drive mobile commerce revenue in the U.S. to 50 percent of U.S. digital commerce revenue.
- By 2017, 70 percent of successful digital business models will rely on deliberately unstable processes designed to shift as customer needs shift.
- By 2017, 50 percent of consumer product investments will be redirected to customer experience innovations.
- By 2017, nearly 20 percent of durable-goods e-tailers will use 3D printing (3DP) to create personalized product offerings.
- By 2020, retail businesses that utilize targeted messaging in combination with internal positioning systems (IPS) will see a 5 percent increase in sales.
Click here for further detail on Gartner’s predictions.