Enterprises Say Theyre Prepared for IoT

Enterprises say they are prepared for the Internet of Things (IoT) and see it as a potential opportunity. But there might not be enough network capacity to handle exploding demand, according to a new survey commissioned by network control provider Infoblox Inc.

Research firm Coleman Parkes Research Ltd. polled 400 IT professionals in the United States and the UK to gauge the opportunities and challenges surrounding the IoT, and assess whether those firms’ networks are ready for a surge in IoT deployments. Gartner Inc. predicts that the installed base of “things,” excluding PCs, tablets and smartphones, will reach 26 billion units in 2020, representing an almost30-fold increase from 0.9 billion units in 2009.

To be sure, the survey found that IT pros are aware of the looming impact of the IoT – 90 percent of them are planning or already implanting platforms to cope with the increased networking demands, Coleman Parkes found. Meantime, 78 percent said they have sufficient budget to accommodate the growth, while 75 percent said they have sufficient staff. And, 89 percent of respondents said they believe they will receive more budget in the next year to respond to IoT demands. Another 73 percent think the same will be true for staffing levels.

When it comes to network security, 63 percent of respondents believe the IoT will present a threat. The remaining 37 percent say security concerns are nothing more than hype.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


In what manner is your staffing changing this year?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
The ID is: 88555