Apple has acknowledged that it’s looking into accusations that a 23-year-old woman was electrocuted when using her iPhone.
The woman supposedly died after answering a call while her iPhone was charging, China’s state-run news agency reported. The claim, which has spread like wildfire in social media in that Asian country, caught the attention of Apple executives, who, in a statement reported by the Wall Street Journal, said they will investigate.
An officer with China’s Public Security Bureau told reporters that the victim’s neck “had an obvious electronic injury.” But he further said this investigation was in its preliminary stages.
We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family,” Apple’s statement read. “We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter.”
This isn’t the first time reports have surfaced about iPhones having electrical or battery-related hazards. Some users have reported smoke coming from their devices, and in some instances, small fires starting.
Apple is expected to release its seventh-generation iPhone, the 5S, later this year.
Follow senior online managing editor
Take a deeper dive into mobile-first marketing with expert advice on optimizing your 2019 digital sales and marketi… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
December 12 2018 @ 16:40:06 UTC
.@bittitan has hired industry veteran Tony Rummans as vice president of global sales. goo.gl/fb/YvwTAe
December 12 2018 @ 14:45:30 UTC