In the early summer, AT&T said it remained on track to close its $39 billion acquisition of T-Mobile USA by March 2012.
That doesn’t appear to be the case any longer: In a regulatory filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, AT&T said it anticipates closing the deal in the first half of 2012.
The deal faces an uncertain future.
The Dallas-based telecom giant faces antitrust suits from the federal government and others. In a case filed by the U.S. Department of Justice, AT&T is set to go to trial on Feb. 13, 2012.
Even if AT&T wins the case or settles with the DOJ, the company still can’t acquire T-Mobile unless and until the Federal Communications Commission approves the transaction.
Earlier this week, a federal judge allowed two wireless providers Sprint Nextel Corp. and C Spire Wireless to continue to pursue claims against AT&T in related lawsuits, although most of the plaintiffs’ claims were dismissed.