Now that the new organizers of the giant SUPERCOMM trade show have until October to get everything together, they’re talking up the changes they plan to unveil soon.
The show’s new handlers, Expocomm Events, plan to launch a new marketing campaign next week as they work to soothe fears that the event is too consumed with baggage to succeed.
“We are seeing this through fresh eyes,” Expocomm Events’ managing director Ron Matthews told Telephony. Some of the changes include “the right aisle density with the right number of buyers,” Matthews said. “We want to make sure we don’t have a quality issue. … We will also be surveying people to make sure they have buying influence or buying authority.”
SUPERCOMM originally was scheduled for next week. However, earlier this year, organizers pushed it back to October 21-23, saying they wanted to wait until the broadband stimulus had played out more.
First held in 1988, SUPERCOMM is one of the most venerable trade shows for the telecom industry but has had a tangled history of late. Originally jointly owned by the Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA) and the United States Telecom Association (USTelecom), the show was put on by the two organizations until 2006 when they split it into two shows: GLOBALCOMM (TIA) and TelecomNEXT (USTA). The following year those expos recombined into NXTComm. Last fall, the organizations restored the original SUPERCOMM brand.