This site is part of the Global Exhibitions Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 3099067.

Informa
Fiber 'Has Started to Shake Up the Services Markets'
By Kimberly Koerth
April 07, 2014 - News
Comments

More businesses are getting access to fiber.

New research from Vertical Systems Group shows that the U.S. fiber gap continued to narrow in 2013. Fiber penetration has reached 39 percent of commercial buildings with 20 or more employees. This leaves the remaining 61 percent of buildings in the fiber gap with no access to fiber.

VSG says fiber is the optimal wireline access technology for delivery of higher speed network services, including carrier Ethernet and IP/MPLS VPNs, as well for cloud and Internet connectivity and mobile backhaul.

"During the past year, network operators narrowed the business fiber gap through construction and acquisitions. The majority of new fiber deployments were focused on connecting medium and smaller buildings in the metro areas surrounding major cities across the U.S.," Vertical Systems Group principal Rosemary Cochran said. "Broader accessibility to on-net fiber has started to shake up the services markets. Fiber-based providers and cable MSOs are capitalizing on the reach and cost advantages of their footprints juxtaposed to legacy infrastructures. Customers are reaping the benefits of more service options, more competitive pricing and faster service installations."

Comments
comments powered by Disqus
Related News
News
Financial terms were not disclosed but VaultLogix does bring about 500 channel partners to
News
Telco Systems announced that it has enriched its professional services offering to provide a full
News
Aria’s Unified Channel Billing platform manages the billing process throughout the supply chain.
News
The products are part of the ConvergedStorage line.
News
The deal came about thanks to a TouchTone channel partner.