CompTIA has renamed its annual event from Breakaway to ChannelCon.
The new name "truly reflects" the scope of CompTIA's efforts, said Kelly Ricker, senior vice president of events and education for CompTIA.
“The quality of the meetings, partnership opportunities, hot topic sessions and channel-neutral training make ChannelCon an unparalleled experience in the IT industry," Ricker said.
The change comes after CompTIA in 2010 stopped emphasizing lead generation and moved toward focusing on business education and networking opportunities. At the same time, it shifted Breakaway from a hosted industry event to an un-hosted model, where attendees chose to make their own investments to participate. The following year, a vendor-neutral channel training and education platform was added. CompTIA then introduced member committees to its annual event, raising the activity and engagement levels. All of that led the nonprofit IT association to rebrand its yearly meet-up.
“We embrace our role as the gathering place where industry opportunities and challenges are addressed collaboratively by all channel professionals, regardless of company or category," Ricker said. “CompTIA ChannelCon brings together the best cross section of the industry: solution providers, vendors, distributors, analysts, media, tech associations and other channel organizations."
The first-ever CompTIA ChannelCon is scheduled for July 29-31, at the Peabody Orlando Hotel in Orlando, Fla. Planned activities include:
- Workshops on CompTIA trustmarks, the business-level credentials for IT businesses that adheres to the industry's best practices;
- CompTIA Executive Certificate programs, which lets busy IT professionals expand their knowledge and skill sets in areas such as cloud computing and mobile technologies;
- E-learning Capstone Sessions, the final piece to completing an e-learning Executive Certificate;
- Keynotes speeches and panel discussions featuring top leaders in business and IT;
- The “Unconference Lunch," an opportunity for attendees to drive the conference agenda;
- Private events for exhibitors; and
- Best of CompTIA ChannelCon Awards.