This site is part of the Global Exhibitions Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 3099067.


Windstream Starts Stimulus Project in New Mexico

By Craig Galbraith
March 14, 2012 - News

Remember the broadband stimulus project? Some governments dollars distributed as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 are just now getting put to use.

Windstream, for example, is kicking off construction southeast of Ruidoso, N.M., in order to bring broadband to a sparsely populated and remote area where extending high-speed Internet service is cost prohibitive without a public-private partnership.

“This is an exciting day for Windstream and our customers in the Ruidoso area," said John Hanners, local manager for Windstream. “This project will expand our broadband network into unserved areas and make a high-speed Internet connection available to approximately 340 potential customers."

Nationally, Windstream says it was the largest single recipient of broadband stimulus grants awarded on a competitive basis by the U.S. Agriculture Department’s Rural Utilities Service. The company won grants totaling more than $181 million for projects in 13 states. The grants cover 75 percent of the cost of installing broadband. Windstream will invest the remaining 25 percent, a total of more than $60 million.

Windstream has now begun stimulus work in all 13 states where it has grants, and multiple projects are underway in most.

comments powered by Disqus
Related News
EarthLink's two new packages offer a hotspot device that provides mobile Internet access in more
Craig Galbraith
The expansion of faster Internet speeds is a major milestone in an extensive upgrade effort that's
Windstream has completed service upgrades in approximately 600 markets across 12 states to bring