|Khali Henderson Blog|
Khali Henderson, editor in chief of Channel Partners, draws on more than two decades of experience covering telecom and IT for her observations about the technology and business trends impacting the channel.
Outside the Comfort Zone
As content consumers, the major challenge of an increasingly fragmented news media is choosing. But there's another one: getting too comfortable. We are drawn to viewpoints that mirror our own and so we tend to frequent sources that say what we want to hear, that validate our positions. Experts have likened this to being in an echo chamber. I like this analogy because it very plainly illustrates the situation while underscoring its undesirability.
That said, I would argue that we tend to mimic this behavior in our own companies and perhaps even our industries. Inside those bubbles, we are reading from the same playbook so to speak. I am not suggesting we abandon those playbooks, but that we continually test the assumptions on which they are based. One way to do that is to step outside of our comfort zone and look to experts and data that may present a different or expanded point of view.
I encourage you to join Channel Partners in taking up the challenge to the status quo. We have been working in earnest for a decade to step beyond our telecom roots and embrace the converging telecom and IT space. To do this we have sought out the advice of experts in all disciplines to inform our understanding of the evolution of the technology industry and the opportunities for the channel. Our cover story on the channel's role in the emerging API Economy is one example of how we expanded our horizons and hopefully yours. Last month's cover story on "born in the cloud" partners also shed light on the opportunity for partners in the cloud from a completely new point of view unencumbered by a legacy mindset. Experts on both of these topics and many more will be available to you at the upcoming Cloud Partners event, Sept. 11-13, in Chicago.
But Channel Partners has a need for these experts all year round, so we rely on an advisory board. The 2012-13 board was among the most diverse in our boards' six-year history. On Oct. 1, half of these individuals will relinquish their seats to new volunteers. The recruits represent the range of the converging telecom and IT channels. This year, we've expanded the board with the addition of two cloud service providers as well as more vendors and partners from the IT hardware/software and services space to accelerate and guide our joint journey to the cloud. Together with our returning board members, these industry professionals make up the 2013-14 Channel Partners Advisory Board (see list below).
May they continue to challenge us to open our minds to the many possibilities for the channel.
INTRODUCING THE 2013-2014 CHANNEL PARTNERS ADVISORY BOARD
- Barry Adams, Manager of Partner Operations - U.S. Lead IaaS, Cisco Systems
- Sharon Andrus, Senior Channel Executive - Managed Services and Cloud Solutions, ITsavvy
- Mark Denney, Vice President of Channel Sales, Windstream
- Don Douglas, President and CEO, Liquid Networx
- Greg Iuzzolino, Director of Partner Channel, Time Warner Cable Business Class
- Gary Jacobs, Vice President of Channel Sales, Southern California, Bridgepointe Technologies
- Charles Kriete, Executive Vice President, Tech Data Corp.
- Vic Levinson, President, Prime Telecommunications Inc.
- Bob Maute, Senior Director of Channels and Alliances, ShoreTel - Cloud Division
- Jessica Mayo-Pike, Business Development Lead, Advanced Services, IPLogic Inc.
- Shane McNamara, Vice President - Partner Channel, XO Communications
- David Hicks, Vice President of ISV and OEM Alliances, Oracle
- Jeff Quinn, AT&T Alliance Channel Vice President - Central & Western States, AT&T
- Angie Reif Tocco, Co-founder, LanYap Networks
- Purvin Vakharwala, Data Center Specialist, Juniper Networks Inc.
NEW ASSOCIATION MEMBERS, WITH STANDING BOARD SEATS:
- Women in the Channel - Rebecca Rosen, Consultant, Sales Enabled
- Cloud Girls - Manon Buettner, Principal, Nuvalo Inc.
RETURNING BOARD MEMBERS, SERVING THE SECOND YEARS OF TWO-YEAR TERMS:
- Pam Avila, Principal, Sierra Summit Group
- Michael Bremmer, CEO, TelecomQuotes.com
- Mark Del Bianco, Principal, Law Office of Mark C. Del Bianco
- Dave Halpin, Carrier Services Division Manager, Black Box Network Services
- Perry King, Program Manager - UC Services, Ingram Micro Inc.
- Kyle Miley, President, Sonoran Integrations
- Gary Schick, Director of Sales, Quest
- Stuart Selbst, President, Stuart Selbst Consulting
- Michael Shonholz, General Manager, CDW Telecommunication Services
- Shane Stark, Director - Operations, Carrier Access Inc.
- Angela Trillhaase, Business Development Executive - North America Midmarket, IBM
RETURNING ASSOCIATION MEMBERS, WITH STANDING SEATS:
- Agent Alliance - Bill Power, CEO
- CompTIA - Carolyn April, Director of Industry Analysis
- Peer-to-Peer Networking Chair - Dan Vidal, President, Telecom Advisors
- TAG National - Dale Stein, Co-founder & Director of Strategic Planning & Business Development
- Technology Channel Association - Dave Wallace, President, Aligned Communications